Launching your canoe in the water and kayaking is all fun and games until your canoe starts losing its looks. Similar to how any other gadget in the world requires regular upkeep and consistent maintenance, your canoe also deserves some special care too. And repainting your old canoe is part of this plan.
Most of the fiberglass and aluminum canoes don’t require maintenance very often. However, after some time, it is natural for canoe paint to start looking faded and chalky. And, as a boating enthusiast, you don’t want to ride an unattractive canoe, right?
Fortunately, there are multiple options, and most of them are pretty doable. You can reach out to paint brands online to do the work yourself or hire an expert to render this service for you.
If you’re more of a DIY person like me, let me guide you through the way.
From best canoe paints you can get your hands on to how you can paint your canoe, I’ve covered it all for you!
Best Canoe Paints – My Exclusive Picks
Having decent experience as a canoe owner, I have got multiple chances to repaint my canoe over the years. So, below are my favorite brands enlisted. Feel free to trust them blindly on my behalf!
- Rust-Oleum, Deep Green 207007 Marine Coatings Topside Paint
- TotalBoat Aluminum Boat Paint for Canoe
- Interlux Y4248/QT Brightside Polyurethane Paint
- Duralux M723-1 Marine Paint
- Sea Hawk AH7033GL Aluma Hawk Aluminum Boat Paint
Here it is pertinent to mention that, more or less, everything has its limitations. However, opting for the ones that have more pros and less cons can be a great idea.
Therefore, I have listed them all for you here. So, good luck with making an informed decision!
Rust-Oleum provides an extensive line of marine coatings to elevate the appearance and performance of your ships for extended life and fewer repairs. Let’s explore what they have got for us.
In this section, I will elaborate on the features of this “best among all” canoe paint.
Unmatched Paint Formula
Rust Oleum’s impeccably thick formula enables the paint to withstand extreme weather situations. With extraordinary gloss retention, this paint is unlikely to fade even with consistent sun exposure.
Abrasion-resistant and UV protection
The excellent paint formula ensures longevity and durability. This durable paint can bear weather fluctuations and abrasion incidents.
It also protects your canoe from harmful UV rays, thus adding to its lifespan.
Because of the ultimate corrosion resistance, this paint offers an admirable shine. That glossy finish would make your canoe appear brand new and grab all the attention on the seaside.
- It is perfect for wood, fiberglass, or metal surfaces.
- It comes with a pretty affordable price tag; therefore, it won’t be harsh on your wallet.
- It guarantees abrasion resistance and protection from UV rays, consequently making your canoe last for longer.
- Its smell is overwhelmingly strong for an indoor paint job.
With a 4.7/5 rating on Amazon, this product is scoring remarkably well in the user reviews subject. Many people have stated that this paint worked equally well for other unconventional objects, like fiberglass showers, sinks, or tubs.
They further add that it was pretty easy to spread, flatten out well, and dries with a glorious glossy look.
TotalBoat Aluminum Boat Paint offers a stunning, non-reflective, and corrosion-resistant finish. This paint can be directly applied to the metal as a topcoat, or you can use it as a primer.
The prominent features of TotalBoat Canoe Paint are as follows:
If you are using this paint, the chances are that you will not need a primer. Its polyurethane formulation makes the paint adhere well and flatten out on galvanized and aluminum material. Plus, the formula ensures long-lasting results as it is corrosion-resistant and protects from UV and chemicals.
The process is pretty easy-going. The paint dries quickly, and it does not have a strikingly strong smell.
Its self-leveling properties are highly appreciatable as the paint adjusts itself without any extra manly effort. It also reaches down the hard-to-reach areas merely with the help of a brush.
- It can make a terrific choice for aluminum boats, pontoon boats, Jon boats, trailers, bass boats, boat parts, etc.
- This paint is UV, corrosion, and scratch-resistant.
- The application is pretty straightforward and dries rapidly.
- This paint offers a durable and glossy finish.
- There’s no such thing to be mentioned as cons here.
Customers are all praises for the glossy finish and convenient application. They say that this paint renewed the whole look of their boat!
Amidst some positive chanting, there were a few complaints too. A few customers felt that the color they got was mildly different from the advertisement picture. Which is my opinion, is not a big issue, as long as the quality is not compromised!
Brightside Polyurethane is a supreme-quality, high gloss, and hard paint that ensures a top-tier finish. It resists annoying stains and abrasion.
Interlux Brightside Polyurethane features multiple winning characteristics. Let’s have a brief look at them.
This paint seems to work quite well. It settles neatly on the surface after two coats as the rolling and tipping process is commendable. Therefore, rest assured it will give your boat a shiny finish. Plus, this paint is functional for any fiberglass subject.
This paint contains a fluoro micro additive that enhances stain resistance, a commendable characteristic that serves to keep the boat clean.
Superior Glass Finish
Brace yourself, and your canoe as this paint delivers as shiny results as possible. Hence, make sure to buy this one only if you don’t want a matte finish.
- This marine paint covers the unattractive scars perfectly and dries out to a glorious shine.
- Once you have prepared the working space and canoe, the procedure ahead is pretty smooth. The self-leveling characteristic of this paint is also praise-worthy.
- Please know that it is a very high gloss product, something that’s not precisely mentioned in the description, which is why several people were unaware of it.
- Some feel that the colors are slightly lighter in reality than pictures found online.
This product has a commendable 4.8/5 rating on Amazon, so it is evident that customers are satisfied with the results. However, they feel there are a few features that need manufacturers’ attention, like color differences, too much gloss, and unclear instructions.
Other than that, people have loved its self-leveling attributes and mess-free application that makes your paint job super fun and easy.
Duralux was originally developed for commercial and pleasure boats. This brand offers an array of shades to satisfy the aesthetic needs of different customers.
Here are the most prominent features of this product:
As I mentioned before, this paint was originally made for pleasure and commercial boats, which means you can paint your canoes, kayaks, and boats. However, apart from that, this paint is also functional for bridges, tanks, offshore, and onshore oil rings.
You can paint all the metal, aluminum, wood, fiberglass, and primed steel.
Rust & Corrosion Resistant
This paint can tolerate cruel weather situations and won’t let them affect the appearance of the boat. It combats corrosion as well as rust in sun exposure and salt sea waters.
Safe to Use
Thankfully, this product is free of harmful chemicals and tin compounds, a rarity among its competitors.
- All you need is two coats to cover the whole thing as the paint is pretty thick.
- Apart from your canoe boats, you can apply it on plenty of objects, including walkways, steps, joint pieces, ceilings, and pool parts.
- Despite its decent covering quality, it seems to peel off easily, which is concerning.
There were multiple positive experiences shared by individual users. However, since most of them talked about the product after the first use, they weren’t sure about its longevity.
Apart from that, they admired that the colors of the paints were the same as in online pictures (contrary to other brands).
Last but not least, some folks complained that the paint peels of quicker, which is not good at all, and the company needs to take that notice ASAP.
If you own an aluminum canoe and you’re looking for a paint that would suit it the best, you can count on Sea Hawk’s canoe paint without any doubts.
Let’s have a look at what Sea Hawk’s canoe paint has to offer for aluminum canoe owners.
Devoid of Chromate
The advantage of being a chromate-free product is that you can use it above or under the waterline without any hassle. However, it doesn’t boast any antifouling attributes.
You will need merely two solid coats to restore the charm of your boat, as this paint is pretty thick in good ways.
Aluma Hawk is an SRP, which means it is scratch-resistant paint. It is a category of surface protection that can visually display any malformation after any mechanical impact.
- It is pretty easy to apply with a brush or roller.
- The paint job ends with a smooth finish.
- The durability and longevity of the paint are so far guaranteed.
- Some people have noticed that it is not as scratch-resistant as the company advertises.
Like previous products, this product also boasts a solid global rating of 4.6/5. The majority of customers have loved the colors, quality, substance, ease of use, and its ability to adjust well with the previous paint.
However, some people have mentioned that its odor is a bit too strong. Others have stated that they wish this paint was more scratch-resistant.
How to Paint a Canoe
If a canoe has been in your possession for a good amount of years, it may be time to give it a well-deserved makeover since it is natural for a canoe’s paint to look faded after several years of use.
Fortunately, a little hard work can go a long way and revive its outer appearance.
Hence, in this section, I will share a few helpful tricks and tips to elevate the looks of your canoes by painting them carefully.
How to Paint a Fiberglass Canoe
Painting a fiberglass canoe is not rocket science. If you are a handyman and have decent experience playing with boating tools, it is not even an issue to begin with.
However, if you are a novice user seeking guidance online, buckle up because you are at the right place. And, I am going to share a 5-step guide to paint your fiberglass canoe:
- Start off with cleaning the boat before hopping on to the actual task of painting. Make sure that you opt for a rain-free day for cleaning because you may need to keep the canoe in an open area to let it dry for 1-3 days. You can opt for a power washer for convenient cleaning.
- Let the boat dry completely.
- Make sure that there are not any cracks or gouges on your canoe. You can fix these cracks with a gel paint repair kit.
- Start sanding the canoe. Don’t forget to wear a dust mask, protective eyewear, and work gloves.
- After that, you can start painting your fiberglass canoe with a paintbrush. You can also use a paint roller for that.
And that is a wrap, folks. Your boat is ready to rock and roll in the waters again with a brand new look.
How to Paint an Aluminum Canoe
The aluminum canoes are pretty popular among boating lovers due to their corrosion-resistant nature, longevity, and visually pleasing design. However, they can be a bit complicated to maintain at times.
The reason is simple. Most of the aluminum canoes are not manufactured with the intent of a repaint job. Although, you can still repaint some of them. So, it is better to make sure that it is functional to repaint your aluminum canoe before proceeding further.
Here are the steps you can follow:
- Prepare the area where you are about to paint your aluminum canoe. You would need spray nozzles, soaps, buckets, brushes, rollers, electric fans, paint sprayers, paint, and a lot more tools. All this stuff requires an enormous room, so clear your working space from all the unnecessary materials.
- After preparing your space, start preparing your boat. It is imperative to remove the remaining paint off of the canoe before the repaint job. It eliminates all the dirt and debris off it and prepares the boat for a fresh new look.
- Start sanding as it smoothes the surface of the canoe. Make sure to wear a protective mask and gloves before diving into the procedure.
- The next step to perform is to apply a primer on the canoe’s body. There are multiple primers available. However, it is better to opt for a primer featuring Zinc Chromate or Magnesium Chromate. You can opt for thinners and oil-based primers too.
Next, using a brush, paint sprayer, or roller, apply the primer. However, once you’re done applying on one side, wait for it to dry before moving on the other side.
5. Now, start painting the boat. Begin with a gentle single coating on both sides. Let the paint dry, and then apply a second coat.
Everything else you need to know about Canoe Painting – FAQs
Can you paint a car with Rust-Oleum paint?
Although people have utilized this paint in versatile ways, I have to disagree here. Water starts seeping behind this paint when a section gets damaged. Eventually, you will have to spend a hefty amount, so it is better to avoid this path.
Is it difficult to paint a canoe?
Whether you own a fiberglass canoe or aluminum canoe, painting it is not technical at all. However, it does require an expert hand to execute the task perfectly.
First of all, you have to select three rain-free days so that you can wash, clean, dry, and sand your boat carefully in an open area. After that, you can start painting your boat with your favorite paint.
I have written a complete guide to painting fiberglass and aluminum canoes. You can head over to that section and seek guidance.
Can a plastic canoe be painted?
Although painting a plastic canoe seems difficult when compared to painting the other conventional canoe types, yet it can be done if you opt for paints the are specifically made to adhere to the plastic material.
However, please note that the above-reviewed paints might not make a good option for painting a plastic canoe.
Whether your canoe has been accompanying you for the past 4 years or 14 years, its appearance can be made eye-pleasing anytime. You can do so by repainting it with the help of a top-tier canoe paint as Rust Oleum’s and change its entire look.
I hope this article helped you learn how to paint a canoe on your own!